I'm posting some recipes here as a thank-you to some friends. I hope you enjoy them... or at least enjoy the thought of me trying to cook. It's laughable, yes. Like the dessert I made yesterday for a Memorial Day party that cratered on me at the last minute. We took beer instead.
Last week I snipped some rosemary from my neighbor's garden. So I thought I would share with Kate (and anyone else who cares to know) how I used the stolen goods. This recipe is from my latest favorite cooking magazine, Everyday Food, which my sister affectionately calls Not Martha, because we are pretty sure Martha Stewart has no idea these recipes are being published in her name. Case in point: Rosemary Garlic Potatoes. They are made in the microwave!!! Martha Stewart would go back to jail before she would use a microwave! But I'm not embarassed. I'm no kitchen snob. How could I be? I ruined a dessert made with orange sherbet and cool whip! Even worse... I made meatloaf with 2lbs ground beef, 1 egg, 1 cup bbq sauce, and a box of Stove Top stuffing! And you know what... it was g-o-o-d! I guess Cooks Point left a lasting impression on me ;)
Rosemary Garlic Potatoes
Recipe Courtesy of Everyday Food
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, sliced
2 sprigs fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried
1 1/2 pounds red new potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced
Coarse salt and ground pepper
Combine oil, garlic, and rosemary in a 2-quart microwave-safe baking dish with a lid. Cover, and microwave on high until garlic is fragrant, 1 minute. Stir in potatoes. Cover, and microwave on high until potatoes are tender, 13 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
I also owe a thank-you-recipe to Amy Montz for her fantastic, forget-about-skinny-jeans chicken. Amy's Chicken (that's my creative name for it) is just boneless skinless chicken breasts, a stick of butter cut up, garlic powder and salt left in the crockpot all day. It's tasty. and versatile. and Ellie loves it. No surprise there. It's 2 ingredients, one of which is butter! Amy uses this chicken in her enchiladas and chicken salad. I use it in place of rotisserie chicken or any other recipe which calls for cut-up cooked chicken. Like this one:
Fragrant Indian Butter Chicken
Recipe Courtesy of Eat, Shrink & Be Merry
2 tbsp butter
1 cup chopped onions
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp grated gingerroot
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 can (28 oz/798 mL) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 T tomato paste
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup half & half
1/4 cup light sour cream (not fat-free)
1 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
Hot cooked basmati rice (optional)
Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook slowly, stirring often, until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Add gingerroot, chili powder, turmeric, ground coriander, cinnamon and cumin. Cook 1 more minute. Add tomatoes, paste, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chicken, half & half, and sour cream. Simmer uncovered for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat, stir in cilantro, and serve over rice.
It's really easy and really tasty! Even Joe liked it!
I also use Amy's Chicken in stacked enchiladas: http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/tortilla-pie-with-chicken?autonomy_kw=tortilla%20pie&rsc=header_2 They call it "tortilla pie" which I think is a misleading and unfortunate name.
Anyway... print these recipes and make them. They are so easy (clearly, if I made them with relative success!). And to save you the embarassment of having to ask... the Stove Top Meatloaf cooks at 350 for about an hour!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment